[arch-dev-public] Arch Linux Trademark Violation

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 11:09:24 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Ionut Biru wrote:
>
>>On 03/16/2013 07:13 PM, Xyne wrote:
>>

>>I appreciate your effort but this stuff should be discussed internally
>>and not publicly.
>>
>>Usually Aaron takes care about stuff like that and Allan emailed him
>>about it already.
>
> I wasn't expecting a discussion here. I don't have access to any internal dev
> discussions (afaik) and I wasn't sure whom to notify about this (I haven't seen
> any activity from Aaron in ages so I don't even know if he is still actively
> involved). I posted here just to make sure that the right person sees it as
> "nobody that matters posts on the forum", as the meme goes.
>
> Given that this is already public on the forum and that at least one user has
> already taken it upon himself to contact Inventive Arts directly, I felt that
> it was imperative to bring this to the devs' attention asap. I will close the
> thread for now and discuss what to do with it with the other mods to prevent
> further community actions while this is handled.
>
> If there is an internal mailing list for devs, TUs, forum admins & mods, wiki
> admins, IRC ops and anyone else associated in some semi-official capacity with
> Arch, please let me know. Otherwise please considering creating such a list.
> The inner workings of the devs remains a black box for most of us outside the
> inner circle and it is not always clear how best to pass along information and
> follow internal issues.

I think what you did here was fine, given that it was already out in
the open on the forums. We don't have a lot of secret stuff going on
in the development circle, so it is always a bit hard to figure out
the proper venue to raise these type of concerns.

We could easily set up something like
trademark-violations at archlinux.org to send along to the appropriate
parties, but that only fixes this particular situation and not
anything else that falls into the behind closed doors category.

-Dan