[arch-dev-public] Merging the "bin" directories

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun May 12 01:22:44 EDT 2013

Hi,

Now the dust has settled on the /lib -> usr/lib move and pacman-4.1 is
out (which has some fixes in this area), it is time to start looking at
doing the rest of the usr merge.

I have created a TODO list with all packages that have files in /bin,
/sbin or /usr/sbin.  As the list is fairly long, the first pass will be
to adjust as many packages as possible to install their files in
/usr/bin instead.  Some packages clearly can not have that done and will
have to wait until we are prepared to replace those directories with
symlinks.

Once we see how many packages are left, we can start planning to finally
get rid of these directories.

Allan