[arch-dev-public] Finishing the /usr move

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue May 28 21:56:57 EDT 2013

I'm bored of waiting...   so lets do this!  What a plans with regard to
[staging] in the near future?   When it is free, I will kill the current
TODO list and create a new one.

As far as building goes, I'd suggest building in a [testing] chroot and
then uploading to [staging].   Building from [staging] is likely to be
completely broken during this transition.

Draft upgrade instructions:

1) Fix any non-official packages with files in /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin
to put those files in /usr/bin.  The list of packages to be fixed can be
generated using:
$ comm -12 <(pacman -Qqm) <(pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | sort -u)

2) Make sure any packages in IgnorePkg or IgnoreGroup do not have files
in /bin, /sbin, or /usr/sbin.  Fix them if necessary.

3) Update your system:
$ pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem
$ pacman -Su

And that should be enough...   With pacman-4.1 (and the patched 4.0.x
versions in our repos since the /lib move), anybody just doing a "pacman
-Syu" will get a conflict.  Using --force in pamcan-4.1 will not break
things (I think...) as --force does not allow overwriting a directory
with a file.   People using pacman-4.0.x and --force could still break
their system.

Allan