[arch-dev-public] Dropping bluez4

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 6 15:21:37 EST 2013

Am Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:28:56 +0200
schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:

> Hi guys,
>
> Once pulseaudio and bluedevil moves out of [testing], the only
> official package depending on bluez4 will be blueman.
>
> As blueman was last released two years ago, and last upstream activity
> was more than one year ago and that bluez4 is no longer developed
> upstream at all, I suggest dropping both of them from the
> repositories.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

I've done some work and research on bluez lately. I can confirm my
adapters to work with bluez 5.10 and gnome-bluetooth (connecting
to headset + smartphone) that has already moved to extra.

I couldn't make it work with kde+bluedevil that is in testing. Also
it seems not possible to use plain bluetoothctl to pair (works
sometimes)/connect(never working here) your device and use plain
alsa/obex. This is an annoying situation for any other desktop apart
from Gnome.

Blueman is broken and for many users not even starting. No idea about
our networkmanager bluetooth support. Fedora 20 has switched over to
only use bluez v5, OpenSuSE is also using it.

We should search further how to solve kde and plain console situation.

Is Bluez4 still required to use with obexd? If not we can drop it and
focus on improving bluez5 support.

Best would be to get bluez connecting to devices from console or/and to
have a desktop independent frontend like this approach:

http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2013-July/030408.html

-Andy