[arch-dev-public] Dropping mplayer2

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:52:50 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b at bpiotrowski.pl> wrote:
> I'd like to drop mplayer2 from our repositories. The last commit has
> been made in the end of April and upstream failed to make new release
> during last 3 years. While it's possible to keep it in repositories, I
> don't see any reason to do so.
>
> I recommend switching to community/mpv (which is a great replacement
> with even better performance) or vanilla mplayer from [extra].

I'm using mplayer-vaapi for its VAAPI support. However, classic
mplayer and its vaapi fork suffer from a bug that prevents them from
contacting dual-IPv4/v6 hosts via IPv6; they try to interpret the v4
address as a v6 one (padding with zeroes), instead of using the actual
v6 address.

Neither mplayer2 nor mpv seem to support vaapi output. mpv depends on
libva, but does not link against it.

Seems there's just no good one for me.