[arch-dev-public] News announcement for screen-4.2.1

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 28 13:22:33 EDT 2014

[2014-04-17 20:26:56 -1000] Gaetan Bisson:
> Title: screen-4.2.0 cannot reattach older instances
>
> Users of the screen program will not be able to reattach older instances
> after upgrading to version 4.2.0; this is due to upstream having made a
> lot of changes to the internals, and switching from named pipes to
> sockets for communication. Please ensure your current screen instances
> are not anymore needed before upgrading.

Grrr. That happens again with screen-4.2.1.

Upstream changed the screen structure to fix the "long terminal name"
issue; we used to patch for that one, but upstream's changes fix more
bugs and change more things. We could:
- patch everything back to how it was in arch's 4.2.0-1
- drop our patch and build screen vanilla

Of course I much prefer the latter (package in [testing]), except it
means another break: no older screen instances will be reattachable with
screen-4.2.1. How about yet another (shorter) announcement?

Title: screen-4.2.1 cannot reattach older instances either

Upstream improvements in screen-4.2.1 will make users unable to reattach
instances created with version 4.2.0 or older. Please upgrade to
screen-4.2.1-1 only when they are unneeded. Apologies again for the
inconvenience.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan