[arch-dev-public] Upgrading to ntp-dev

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 11 15:30:48 EST 2014

Hi all,

The ntp-stable branch last saw a release in 2011. If there are no
objections, I'll switch our ntp package to the ntp-dev branch, where all
development effort (new features, bug fixes) has happened since.
Upstream considers ntp-dev semi-stable (with unstable being the daily
snapshots).

What prompted me to do this is the recent ntp-based DoS [1]; it's
currently only fixed in ntp-dev [2] although we are currently fine with
the default ntp.conf shipped in our package because of the "noquery"
option.

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26136774
[2] http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SecurityNotice#DRDoS_Amplification_Attack_usin

Comments welcome.