[arch-dev-public] Cyclic dependencies between systemd and util-linux

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 24 13:56:56 EST 2014

Right now, we have a problem with cyclic dependencies in core: systemd
requires libblkid and libuuid (systemd-udevd) and util-linux requires
libudev (findmnt, and soon uuidd [1]).

I don't like this situation and currently it is revoled by adding
systemd as optdepend to util-linux. This has the side effect that in a
chroot with only certain packages installed, one has to explicitly
install systemd to get findmnt working. Since I've run into this
situation and cyclic deps are bad, I propose the following:

Split both util-linux and systemd into libutil-linux/util-linux and
libsystemd/systemd. Then we could have both util-linux and systemd
depend on both libsystemd and libutil-linux.

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux-ng/msg08699.html