[arch-dev-public] Packages added to todo list 'Fix source file names'

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:54:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2015-03-02 12:28:46 -0500] Dave Reisner:
>> On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 06:49:13AM -1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>>
>> > If upstream's tarball is called v0.4.1.tar.gz then I'd rather not
>> > override that...
>>
>> Not sure you've presented any reasoning here other than "I'm lazy".
>> Don't worry, I'm with you on that, but I think we can do better here
>> without increasing maintenance burden.
>
> My reasoning is that there's no reason to complicate our PKGBUILDs to
> fix something I don't consider a problem. We should really just be able
> to copy-paste an upstream URL; and if the filenames collide I'd rather
> have this fixed automatically rather than manually in every PKGBUILD.
>
>> Another option would be to teach makepkg to shard out SRCDEST by
>> $pkgbase, allowing source contents to be "namespaced" to a degree.
>
> We could also do what wget does: use the full URL as path. So the source
> file http://github.com/libfoo/v0.4.1.tar.gz would end up being
> downloaded as $SRCDEST/github.com/libfoo/v0.4.1.tar.gz .
>
> That's clean and generic. Are there any tools that rely on SCRDEST and
> that would be disturbed by a change like this?

Future plans aside, there are 19 packages involved here. We can spend
time proposing alternate solutions without patches and complaining, or
we could just fix these packages. I'm glad you don't consider it a
problem, but someone cared enough to, and it doesn't really
inconvenience anyone that much in the big picture.

-Dan