[arch-dev-public] Drop hfsutils

Muflone webreg at vbsimple.net
Sat Aug 19 21:29:37 UTC 2017

Hi

The current status of the package hfsutils v332 is really out-of-date
compared to Apple sources [1] v589.

Various GNU/Linux distributions approach this package in many different
ways.
- Debian still maintains it the outdated v332 [2]
- Fedora uses a more recent version v540 [3] which doesn't provide
anymore mkfs.hfs. A package from another source could create new
filesystems.
- Gentoo uses the same old version v332 [4]

As I don't use this package anymore and I don't think a 10 years old
package should live in the official repositories I plan to move hfsutils
to the AUR.

If someone has a better idea or wants to maintain hfsutils please let me
know. If not I'll try to update hfsutils in the AUR to v540.

[1]: https://opensource.apple.com/source/diskdev_cmds/diskdev_cmds-589/
[2]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/hfsprogs
[3]:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/hfsplus-tools/blob/master/f/hfsplus-tools.spec