[arch-dev-public] Speaking of OCaml: willing to orphan merlin + deps

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 08:36:59 UTC 2019

Le 18/08/2019 à 08:16, Jürgen Hötzel a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Bruno Pagani via arch-dev-public writes:
>
>> orphan merlin (OCaml smart auto-completion for emacs/vim) and its
>> dependency tree as I’m no longer using any of those and don’t expect to
>> use them again:
>>
>> – cppo
>> – dune
>     ^^^^
>
> I'd take maintainership of dune. More and more OCaml projects switch from
> ocamlbuild and other legacy build system to dune:
> It is very likely that in the future all important OCaml-based
> applications will (make)depend on it.

OK great, just adopt it in ArchWeb then. ;) Also please be aware that
upstream almost always retag releases (their process is tagging, trying
to upload to opam, fix issues, retag and so on until it works), so you
should wait for new releases to appear in opam and not just for them to
be tagged as such in GitHub (for instance, 1.11.0 was tagged three
times, first on 18/07/2019 at 08:02 UTC, last on 22/07/2019 at 17:16 UTC).

>> – menhir
>> – merlin
>> – ocaml-biniou
>> – ocaml-easy-format
>> – ocaml-yojson
> +1
>
> OCaml developers will have a better experience using the standard OCaml
> package manager "opam" anyway (I'm using merlin-lsp via "opam pin"
> instead of merlin).

OK, then I will just plainly remove them, and if someone think they can
still be useful outside of opam, they are free to re-upload them to the AUR.

Regards,
Bruno