[arch-dev-public] A contrib repository

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 22:34:05 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019, 04:31 Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public
<arch-dev-public at archlinux.org <mailto:arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>>
wrote:

    On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 02:05:47PM -1000, Gaetan Bisson via
    arch-dev-public wrote:
    > I think it's a great idea but it needs a solid maintainer. Without a
    > clear leader it's (probably) going to be a free for all and we'll
    drown
    > under bikeshedding issues within a month. But of course that doesn't
    > mean we'd lose anything trying anyhow.
    >
    > Among other things, I'd personally like to see the repo maintainer
    > enforce sensible and consistent naming for the tools, preferring
    longer,
    > explicit names over shorter ones. For instance, I'm sure many of
    us have
    > one-letter scripts and if we contribute them all there's bound to be
    > collisions along with the problem of not knowing at first glance what
    > each tool does. We could maintain a bash alias file containing
    > everyone's favorite nickname for each tool.

    If we want someone to a dedicated maintainer, I can probably do so.
    But I
    believe that we can give everyone commit access, block commits to
    master and just
    enforce a system where two reviews are needed before merge.

    I really don't think more is needed, but as noted; I can probably
    take some
    responsibilities if the devs think that is warranted.

    When it comes to packaging and naming conflicts, I wonder if it's
    just easier to
    drop all the supplied files into `/usr/share/archcontrib` or
    something. Makes it
    easier to package and doesn't clutter anyone's PATH with a lot of
    (sometimes)
    unneeded tools.

    --
    Morten Linderud
    PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16

So shall we progress with this? I don't think we can lose anything by
just trying it out. Let's put up a GitHub repo and get coding. Of course
it should be mirrored to our infra.