[arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue May 21 17:14:26 UTC 2019

Em maio 21, 2019 12:29 Maxime Gauduin via arch-dev-public escreveu:

> Hi Giancarlo,
>
> Did some initial testing on my system, I was almost able to get a
> working initrd after a few tweaks [0] and a little patching [1] to use
> fs-lib with bash and without systemd. However I can't use my usb
> keyboard
> and mouse when greeted by gdm. I'll keep looking into it unless you
> have some pointers at the ready.
>
> Using the following command to generate the initrd:
>
> mkinitrd --xz /boot/initramfs-5.1.3-zen1-1-zen.img
>
> And the resulting lsinitrd [2].

Thanks. This is precisely the kind of testing we need. Including different
kernels. I tried only on linux and linux-lts so far.

It's weird your keyboard is not running when hitting gdm, because, at that
point the initramfs shouldn't have any interference.

Also, any reason to use xz? I know that not everyone has a big boot partition
and images created by dracut (even with -H) are larger than mkinitcpio's.

By jelle's suggestion, can we concentrate the bug reports on the bugtracker? I think
it will be better. Thanks again.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini