[arch-dev-public] Killing Python 2 (v2)

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 08:25:13 UTC 2020

Le jeu. 2 janv. 2020 à 17:12, Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl> a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> 2020 happened and Python 2 is very much still alive, even worse there
> will be an update in April.
>
> However we should actively strive to get rid of Python 2 before it. Some
> upstreams are (still) working on porting to Python 3 such as Kodi,
> inkscape,
> mercurial and many more but for packages with dead upstreams and being
> unrequired I propose we remove them.
>
> For packages still providing python2 functionality such as vim and
> others I propose we remove python2 support to actively to discourage
> people using it.

Texlive packages contain random Python scripts, a few of them might be
ported to Python 3. As far as I know none of them is critical, I will
simply remove the shebang rewriting in next packages and drop python2 from
optdepends.

I'll try to have a closer look to the ones accessible from PATH and
actively remove them from /usr/bin if they are not ported.

Rémy