[arch-dev-public] SDR package naming

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 5 13:04:51 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 22:43 -1000, Gaetan Bisson via arch-dev-public
wrote:
> [2020-06-04 23:03:23 +0100] Filipe Laíns via arch-dev-public:
> > 1) Rename libuhd to uhd
> > 2) Use the gr- prefix instead of gnuradio- for GNURadio[2] blocks
>
> Your proposed changes indeed seem the correct thing to do, but Kyle
> appears to have done a good job maintaining those packages over the
> years. Do you really think it is worth bypassing his decision using a
> community vote for something of almost no consequence?

Hi Gaetan,

My main concern here is that it is not as simple as it just being
Kyle's decision, it sets a precedent. I believe the naming is
incorrect, and as such, should be fixed. I have tried initiating a
conversation with the maintainer but with that didn't result in
anything.

I really don't want to step in anyone's toes, I have postponed this
email as much as I could. Giving the lack of the reply from Kyle, one
can only assume he does not care that much about the issue. I am fine
with waiting one or two weeks before taking action to make sure he has
time to reply, if there are no objections.

I have delayed bringing new GNURadio blocks to [community] due to the
naming issue. I would like to have this resolved soon.

> If we are to work together, we must sometimes learn to accept others'
> decisions we don't 100% agree with...

All I am trying to do is work together, but failing. As I said above,
this decision affects more than Kyle's packages.

Nobody is denying him of him opinion or decision rights, he is free to
speak up at any time. I would be very happy to have a discussion with
him about the issue :)

Cheers,
Filipe Laíns