[arch-dev-public] Scope of arch-projects mailing list

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Thu Feb 3 11:53:09 UTC 2022

Hi all,

while trying to use the arch-projects mailing list for an announcement I
realized, that it is (probably?) not really supposed to be used for
that at the moment.

It explicitly states to be used for development discussion and providing
patches for dbscripts, devtools, mkinitcpio, namcap, netctl, archweb and
pyalpm.

It seems that apart from netctl none of the above really make much use
of this anymore though when it comes to development, as the projects
have pivoted towards merge/pull requests on their respective VCS forges.

Unless there are any objections, I propose to

* add arch-repo-management and arch-release-promotion to it
* change arch-projects to *also* become a general discussion list around
  the above mentioned Arch Linux projects
* extend mailing list "about" section with information on how each
  project prefers to receive patches (e.g. I do not want to use the
  mailing list for that, but others may)

Rationale:
We lack a mailing list that revolves around our internal projects and
which can also be used by non "elevated users" (such as Trusted Users
and Developers) for more general discussion.
Given the very low traffic on the arch-projects mailing list I see no
issue with it becoming a per-project discussion list as well (as in our
case mailing lists seem to be mainly used for discussion and not so much
for development anymore these days).

Best,
David

--