[arch-general] Eben Moglen's view on mkisofs GPL (non-)compliance

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Feb 8 08:56:40 EST 2010

Xavier Chantry <chantry.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eben just sent me this summary of his discussion with Jörg Schilling on
> the subject of the cdrtools mkisofs.  He said that it can be
> republished/posted anywhere.  When/if you do that, please do so *in its
> entirety*.  All too easy for things to be taken out of context, so let's
> at least get the full version out there.
>
> Hope this helps somehow.
>
> Thanks,
> karl at gnu.org
>

> Date: Sat,  6 Feb 2010 11:24:23 -0500
> From: Eben Moglen

I am sorry to see that Eben Moglen is not telling you the truth.

First, we did never have a phone call....

Nearly anything in the mail you quoted is in conflict with what really
happened. Now that Moglen did start to make his current claims public, he did
give his conclusive permission to undisclose our private mail conversation.

I will prepare a reply that explains the real situatiation and that confirms my
view with quotes from his former mail. This will verify that Moglen did confirm
that there is no legal problem with mkisofs.

To be able to do this, I need to check Moglens mail in order to protect his
privacy. Do not expect this to happen soon as it is a low priority task for me.
I am planning a cdrtools-3.0-final release right now (around CeBIT) and this
currently consumes all my time.

Jörg