[arch-general] problem with video driver ?

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 20:18:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> It is the 'ssh -X zita2 emacs' that is very slow.
> Running emacs locally is perfectly OK.
> The previous install was F9, it used nv, and
> the same 'ssh -X zita2 emacs' worked perfectly.
> Nothing has changed on zita2.
>
> As far as I can see, the Arch installation tries to enable
> 3D-acceleration by installing 'drm'. I don't want it. How
> can it be disabled ?

It seems I read your mail too quickly.
But if only apps through ssh are slow, why would you suspect video
driver, and not network / ssh speed ?

And why would 3d acceleration make your X-forwarded 2d app slow ?

By the way, you have no 3d-accel at all with nv, just very basic 2d.
And afaik drm does not do anything on its own. It just provides the
core of graphic drivers, like nouveau for instance. nv does not use it
either.
And there is no reason for using nv nowadays, nouveau does better in
every aspect ! and nouveau does rely on drm so you will want to keep
that.

That said you can blacklist whatever you want, just have a look at /etc/rc.conf.
You could also try blacklisting your network driver, I am sure it will
make everything much faster :)