[arch-general] Bluetooth headphone

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 04:28:12 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Manne Merak <mannemerak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, did all that already, as I said I can play audio using mplayer or
> aplay etc.
> But how do I get all apps that use it.
> Actually a guide that explains the roles of, alsa, phonon, gstreamer, xine,
> pulseaudio etc and how they fit together these days will also work for me.
> (as I understand KDE4 uses Phonon, which uses GStreamer as backend? which
> uses ALSA? sounds like a bit of abstraction madness going on)
>
> Manne

To get all apps to use it set a pcm.!default

Personally, I find using pulseaudio to manage it (moving streams etc)
to be much easier. BT headsets run out of battery, if that happens you
have to manually change .asoundrc and perhaps restart sound-generating
apps, if you're not using a sound server such as pulseaudio.

If you want to read up on the different sound components, just do a
google search. There's tons of articles out there, some very good,
mostly a bit crap. Lennart Pottering (dev for Pulse) has a
particularly good one I recall. Most on Arch wouldn't like his
conclusions though.