[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jan 29 12:27:41 EST 2010

Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 29. Januar 2010 17:58:42 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 14:35 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > > I am not sure whether this is the best solution. I recommend to use
> > > star as star
> > > is the oldest free tar implementation and as it supports ACLs since 10
> > > years
> > > already. Adding more meta data is relatively simple.
> >
> > Implementing it in star has no use, as our package manager doesn't use
> > star but libarchive, the library that bsdtar is based on.
>
> This might be related: http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/wiki/TarPosix1eACLs

This does just describe what I defined 10 years ago ;-)

Some notes:

The POSIX.1e ACL draft was withdrawn in 1999.

The current ACL standard is from NTFS and part of NVFv4 and ZFS

Mandatory ACLs are something completely different. They are similar to extended file
attributes - just that the kernel interprets them.

Jörg