[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Jan 31 08:36:15 EST 2010

Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Would it be worth to do so? I am not convinced. The GPL was intentionally
> > opened against any kind of libraries after it turned out that the first GCC
> > version was legally unusable. I was part of this discussion and thus I know
> > about this fact. The project "mkisofs" just uses independent libraries under
> > CDDL and this is explicitely permitted for GPLd programs.
>

> You can always dual-license it...
> GPL for the stupid people* and CDDL for the smart ones.

Dual licensing in general is a bad idea.
For a period of time that is intended for a migration it may help in our case.

> The Apple HFS stuff would be then CDDL only, and distros could disable it.

Apple HFS stuff is for Mac OS 9. For current Apple releases, UDF + Apple
extensions (implemented in the original mkisofs) is better.

For the next final version that is expected very soon (I just need to implement
support for writing hidden audio tracks automated from *.inf files and do some
BluRay tests) there will definitely support for Apple HFS in mkisofs. For the
time that follows cdrtools-3.0-final, things may change.

Jörg