[arch-general] Does anybody still have kde3 running? libpng problems preventing apps from running?

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 02:11:23 CET 2010

Laurie Clark-Michalek wrote:
> On 6 March 2010 00:22, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Laurie Clark-Michalek wrote:
>>

>> [putolin]

>>> Firefox with NoScript? Works fine for me here, and things like
>>> temporary privileges help a lot when browsing unknown sites.
>>>

>> I don't like add to things to get them to work as I am not of the microsoft
>> mind set.
>>
>> One buys a microsoft OS and you have to add a truckload of stuff just to get
>> it to do something, then it fails.
>>

> So... you don't install anything on your arch linux box?
No nothing as I am not running an Arch linux box. I have killed them all
off, I now run a custom built system based on LFS.
Both on desktops and servers.

> I installed
> the linux kernel, and it worked, but I had to install Glib, bash,
> boost, and the majority of the base group to get it to do anything.
> However, I can see your point. Not adding a truckload of stuff would
>
> remove the need for a package manager, and I've always seen them as a
> nuisance, always breaking down and needing updating :)

I don't have a/any package manager, I build the systems from bash
scripts and a Makefile.
On my quad core 8GB box give me about 6 hours and it's ready to run.
Basic command line to KDE 3.5.10 ready for adding users and setting them up.