[arch-general] svn packaging, abs => git ?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Mar 9 13:16:49 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 18:04:50 -0600
Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with everyone else that's said it. This comes up often enough
> but no one ever has a good workflow that works. I have seen nothing
> proposed in this thread that is good. The ONLY thing gained is "oh
> neat, it's in git". We lose quite a bit, especially in the branch-ing
> department.
>
> It seems like this is a "solution" that's looking for a problem to
> happen. As far as I know, working with svn isn't a big deal and isn't
> a problem.

The biggest advantage of a git-based approach is that imho it becomes
much easier to - as an end user - maintain forks of packages.
you could just have a clone with your own packages and merge in changes
as ABS gets updated.
with the current ABS, i always need to manually apply & commit the
changes from abs into my customized packages.

but if i'm missing something, please enlighten me.

Dieter