[arch-general] Getting X running on new install (Ionut Biru)

Alain Muls alain.muls at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 09:14:28 CEST 2010

> On 03/30/2010 06:40 PM, Alain Muls wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am using Ubuntu since 2005 and I like it. The only problem is that each
> 6
> > month I am spending some time to update. I have for that 2 root
> partitions
> > available.
> >
> > I heard about Arch Linux and its rolling release and decided to try it
> out.
> >
> > The base install went fine and I have a running core system.
> >
> > So I decided to tackle the X server which under Ubuntu uses the nvidia
> > proprietary driver.
> >
> > I installed
> > pacman -S nvidia
> > nvidia-config
> >
> > and gave startx from my user account a try. No luck, the message was
> cannot
> > load module nvidia.
> >
> > Then I used lshw and the card is loisted as
> > G96 [GeForce 9600 GT]
> > both under Ubuntu and Arch Linux.
> >
> > I uninstalled the nvidia and installed
> > pacman -S nvidia-96xx
> > nvidia-config
> >
> > and again no luck.
> >
> > How can I get this card up and running with full hw support as under
> Ubuntu?
> >
> > Tx/Alain
>
> you should really read beginners guide. everything is covered there.
> everything have to installed. after a core installation be sure to fully
> update the system:
> pacman -Syu
>
> after that you _need_ to install xorg.
> pacman -S xorg
>
> after that you may decide what driver you want to use.
> pacman -S nvidia
>
> --
> Ionut
>

> Hi

That is exactly what I did. I am not a beginner and have read quite some
articles about Arch and I am aware of the fact that I have to follow
carefully all steps in this installation process. So pleas bear with me and
hep me over this problem.

Since it failed I tried to identify the card (I did not know the lshw
command before) and redid the steps with the driver for the nvidia-96xx
card. Again no X-screen. I also copied the xorg.conf from Ubuntu over to
Arch but again no X server that would run. I also tried the nouveau driver
and he is given as error:

(EE) [drm] failed to open device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

It is the second time I try to install Arch, I really want to try out this
rolling principle, but again I am unable to get up the X server which is
working without flaws in Ubuntu.