[arch-general] audio skipping frequently with vlc

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 3 00:08:18 EST 2011

On 03/02/2011 11:24 PM, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> On 03/02/11 12:37, Divan Santana wrote:
>> On Wednesday 02 March 2011 08:18:06 Matthew Monaco wrote:
>>> I recently noticed then when playing DVDs and other audio files through VLC
>>> that the audio skips frequently. It doesn't get out of sync, just goes
>>> mute for a split second.
>>>
>>> I tried the past few versions of VLC but it still happens, so I guess it's
>>> one of the dependencies, but I'm not sure which.
>>>
>>> Has anyone noticed/fixed this?
>>
>> I've also this, specifically when playing music via amarok and KDE setup using
>> phonon-vlc as preferred and specifically just before and after song change.
>
> I use both VLC, and Amarok with phonon-vlc, (on Arch; since phonon-vlc emerged
> around June or August) and it's been working fine the whole time.
>
> (Except that Amarok with any backend, for me, (-xine, -gstreamer, -vlc) used to
> sometimes crash around song-change and now sometimes just does
> weird-but-predictable things around song-change. I think that's unrelated.)
>
> -Isaac

What output are you using? I'm on HDMI. Here is what happens in VLC with a
verbosity of 2 for every skip:

[0x3415df0] main audio output debug: audio output is starving (21344), playing
silence
[0x3415df0] alsa audio output debug: recovered from buffer underrun

I've found some forum postings on this, but can't find any definitive solutions,
certainly nothing that's worked for me.