[arch-general] Dropping Oracle OpenOffice

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Mon Mar 7 12:45:34 EST 2011

LibreOffice has recently proved to be a solid replacement for Oracle
OpenOffice. I'm about to drop all Oracle OOo packages from our repos.

First my time is limited. I've asked so many times for help in the
Office packaging area and nobody stepped in.

Then there's the poor distribution support Oracle spends on the
distributions. They almost do not care about custom distribution builds
and their interest. They break the build against system libs
every now and then and it takes ages to contact the relevant devs to
fix their bugs. Development is only driven by the profit interests of
Oracle... You can put in here all the arguments the Document foundation
has given at its birth.

So don't expect any efforts to fix bugs in Oracle packages anymore. As
soon as they will break due to a .so name bump or something like this
I'll remove all the packages from our repos if nobody else is willing
to maintain them.

Any objections to add
"replaces=('openoffice-base') " to the next LibO pkg?

-Andy