[arch-general] a couple cdrecord questions

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Apr 1 08:07:20 EDT 2012

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at shellworld.net> wrote:

> This is NEC hardware here and I'm always issued two warnings whenever I
> try to burn anything.  The first is that input buffer cannot be read and
> the second is that the dma speed test is skipped.  What things can I
> change in order to clear these warnings?

I am not sure if I get the message right as there is no quote from the warnings.

I would guess that this is a result of firmware bugs.

Some firmware does not enable DMA for the read buffer command and thus does not
allow this command to be used to meter the DMA speed.

Some Firmware returns an invalid buffer size.

Unfortumately, AFAIK Linux still does not return the DMA resudual size, making
it hard to react correctly.

The error recognition, error messages and warnings have been reworked in
December 2010. I hope you are using recent original software.

Jörg