[arch-general] locale.conf

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Aug 1 18:12:20 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>> Of course, that's the point of LC_MESSAGES. What else would it do?
>
> Well, actually I would expect that the language is set by LANG and not
> by LC_MESSAGES. I would expect, and I guess this is what it's meant for,
> that just the output on stdout or stderr is affected by LC_MESSAGES.
> That is, that LC_MESSAGES only sets the console output of CLI programs,
> but not the language of the whole desktop environment like Xfce and all
> the GUI programs. What was the sense of LANG otherwise?

It makes sense to me that any text is in whatever locale LC_MESSAGES
specifes, regardless of where it is being printed.

The point of LANG is to be a default for all the LC_* variables that
are not set. The exception is LC_ALL which overrides everything, and
is (afaik) only meant to be set at runtime for debugging purposes.

-t