[arch-general] Install wiki - recommendations regarding 'swap' ?

Scott Lawrence bytbox at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:50:13 EDT 2012

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012, David C. Rankin wrote:

> All,
>
>  After installing without AIF, I want to update the install wiki to drop a note
> about swap. It isn't addressed at all. What is the current Arch recommendation
> regarding swap creation? I.E.: recommended for systems w/less that 1G of RAM,
> create swap file of what size? (256M?) Even if swap is not recommended, I at
> least want to drop that note in the basic install. Thanks.

I think it depends wildly on what you're doing. If you're gaming on KDE, or
running a server on a 2GB machine, you're gonna want swap. If you want to
hibernate, you need at least as much as you have RAM. If you're (like me) just
running a bunch of terminals in DWM, then you won't need any swap even for a
1GB system.

A page with RAM usage estimates for different sorts of systems might be
useful, but past that, there's not much that can be said that's generally
applicable.

--
Scott Lawrence

Linux jagadai 3.4.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 20 08:21:26 CEST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux