[arch-general] pacman from behind a proxy (not under my control)

Nick Lanham nick at afternight.org
Tue Aug 7 04:57:44 EDT 2012

Are you SURE the http_proxy is set when running the pacman command?

Try doing something like (also add in the https proxy in case):

user at host$ http_proxy='http://proxy.name_of_uni.edu.my:8080' ftp_proxy='...' https_proxy='...' pacman ....

I have a one line script that just has (i don't use ftp):

#!/bin/bash
http_proxy='http://proxy:8080' https_proxy='https://proxy:8080' $*

save as pprox and then run:

user at host$ pprox pacman ....