[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Aug 11 08:16:46 EDT 2012

Am Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:56:49 +0200
schrieb Jelle van der Waa <jelle at vdwaa.nl>:

> Sure soon RHEL will switch to systemd with RHEL 7, so the systemd
> market share will probably continue to grow. Also SUSE seems to
> switch to systemd. With these major distro's taking up systemd, it's
> almost impossible that it's not implemented good enough.

Then, why are there regularly so many, so long discussions on the web?
And most of them are not started by me, and I don't even participate
in a lot of them. And why are all those critical comments about PA,
systemd, and Lennart Poettering marked green by so many people?

Why is Lennart Poettering's software the only software about which
there are so many discussions? Really because it's so damn good?

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes of all those major
distros. So I don't know how big Lennart's or someone else's influence
is. But I think it's a mistake to switch to systemd. Well, offering it
optionally, would be no problem.

Speaking of which, I doubt that the RHEL and SUSE users care this much
about the init system and the system internals as Arch Linux users do.

> p.s. it's a bit lame to just blame Poettering since for everything he
> just iirc the maintainer of systemd. Since there are much more people
> behind systemd ( Kay sievers, etc. )

I know that Poettering is not the only one behind systemd and PA, but
it was his idea and he still is the maintainer. So it's still his
software.

Heiko