[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Aug 11 18:03:34 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:02:50PM -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> With pulse it just takes over the master volume when it try to
> adjust audio in an application cranking the master volume to full.
> Without pulse it just works the way I like it to be. So count me as
> one of the ones who doesn't like pulse audio.

:-) Give anyone who's not an audio engineer two volume controls
in series and the result will be either noise & interference or
distortion or both.

So imagine the average desktop user who gets five or so of
them:

- one provided by the application (player or something)
- one provided by PA or similar,
- probably two by the soundcard mixer,
- and finally one on his/her cheap 'multimedia speakers'.

The first and second ones will be digital, unless one of them
tries to control the soundcard mixer. The soundcard mixer
controls could be digital or analog or an undocumented mix
of both. The last one is probably analog. The probability of
getting any decent sound out of such a mess is smallish.

Ciao,

--
FA