[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 11:27:25 EDT 2012

We should all be getting tired of this now. Please read the multiple
threads before posting things that have already been posted. Actually
don't as we will never hear from you again ;-)

Who said we are going to be forced to use systemd again. I believe the
systemd design spec also said he hopes to remove all scripts, that
hasn't and won't happen. There will always be alternatives, if arch is
one we will find out. This trolling of forcing users has brought other
wrong statements. Pulse and Gnome on the other hand has forced a problem
on ralf and I hope the highly regarded kernel developer in charge of
udev will help sort out systemd to linus way of thinking (break nothing
unless you must and then IF it's optional that's ok) and not the
other way around.

I've found udev is not a requirement for linux at all, you don't even
need devtmpfs. In fact devtree is gaining support for embedded devices.

It's not about sysVinit vs systemd. I'm not a fan of sysvinit either
but I don't mind it. It's about pid 1 being an init binary that does
just one job well and assumes nothing allowing limitless customisation
and applying to all systems including toasters and even ipv6 and cgroup
(necessary evils according to linus) free devices and init should let
you run systemd without problem?

I still don't know why systemd is pid 1. I know it wants to use kmod
early on to determine ordering for later but I don't see that as a
reason to be pid 1. I guess to reduce the chances of something running
that systemd has no idea about or systemd being started too late.

Ralf, OpenBSD has a real nice sndio daemon with parts in kernel for
great latency and certainly worth looking at however it does not support
24bit and the devs said they have no interest in spending the time on
adding that and I don't fancy your chances in getting a sound card with
a low noise dac working but could be very wrong as I've only had partial
functionality on Linux before from an off the shelf product without
paying a huge price.

There will be a learning curve to move to BSD when upgrading packages
though dependencies won't be as much of a problem on OpenBSD and I know
you said you have a long to do list so I would wait and see and wouldn't
base any decision on systemd but would look at sndio in any case.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=sndio&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=134376444701682&w=2

I can't help with freeBSD but it may well be useful as I refuse to waste
time and energy on building just for local user systems and wasn't too
impressed with PCBSD.

Please CC me in any future audio discussions.

Baho you may like how easy this init system is to follow.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=init&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)