[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Paul Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:13:45 EDT 2012

Sometimes the most loving thing to do is let someone go through a short, sharp pain in order to avoid a long, drawn out one. Systemd is not evil. You may not like the idea of changing, but it probably will be the best thing for you to do to avoid more pain down the line. No rush, but I reckon the anticipation is accually worse than the switch.

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 16:23 +0200, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 08/14/12 16:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> Cool, so once you're set up with systemd, you should find it easier to work
> >> with. As for change, I'm afraid that's inevitable in ArchLinux, because it's
> >> intended to be a cutting-edge distro. If you don't like the change, you
> >> really need to consider switching to something less hands-on. I hear that
> >> OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is a viable rolling-release option. And I think Mint
> >> Debian Edition is also rolling-release?
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> > I'm from Germany, so I started with Suse and I still have an outdated
> > Suse installed. Suse doesn't fit to my needs. I tested Mint and Mint
> > doesn't fit to my needs. Arch did and still does fit to my needs. I just
> > fear that soon Arch won't fit to my needs. I'm not objective, I just
> > care about my needs. This is selfish, I'm aware of this. However, why
> > shouldn't I take care of my needs? I also work on a voluntary basis. I
> > fight for the rights of others, but I also fight for satisfying my
> > needs. That's all.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
> >

> Then maintain/improve the current initscripts...

I don't have the ability to do this. I don't have time to learn this,
since I work on a voluntary basis in other areas. And who knows, even if
I would have the time to learn, perhaps I'm not able to do it.

So again, is "self-responsibility" = "spend all your live time with
setting up Linux only"? Isn't the philosophy of a community that people
have different abilities and that they take care of each other?

Regards,
Ralf