[arch-general] OT: "Major distributions" (WAS: Re: [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 14 12:39:55 EDT 2012

Am 14.08.2012 18:19, schrieb Brandon Watkins:
> Systemd isn't going anywhere anytime soon, its going to be adopted by RHEL
> (which means it would also be adopted by RHEL derivatives like CentOS), and
> its being adopted by major distros like fedora, opensuse, mageia etc...

What are those "major distributions"?

1) Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and derivatives
2) Fedora and derivatives
3) openSuSE
4) Arch
5) Mandriva / Mageia
6) Slackware
7) Gentoo

That's about it. As you see, I included Arch up there. As far as I can
see, after Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora and openSuSE (in no particular
order), Arch has been number 6 on the list of "major Linux
distributions" (excluding professional stuff like SLES or RHEL) for
several years.

What I am trying to say is: It no longer suffices to say "we follow the
major distributions" when making a decision, as Arch itself is a major
distribution now.

Still, your point stands: Redhat will be funding systemd development for
quite a while.