[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 14 20:13:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM, David Benfell
<benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> Does systemd not use the standard
> mount program and follow /etc/fstab?

It does. Though it does not use "mount -a", but rather mounts each fs
separately.

> It's the
> classic technical support problem with multiple moving pieces with
> each vendor pointing at the other one. And it seems that Poettering's
> attitude is particularly unhelpful here, which means that *when* (I'm
> not going to be so naive as to say *if*) such problems arise, we may
> well need another way to deal with them. Perhaps that's what we should
> be discussing here.

The systemd devs do have the attitude of not working around bugs, but
fixing them where they are (which I agree with). However, not to the
extent that it causes problems that we in turn have to work around
downstream. Overall, I am *very* satisfied with the level of support
upstream provides to the distros.

Quote from IRC today:

#systemd: mezcalero » falconindy: ah, arch switches for good?
#systemd: mezcalero » falconindy: that's great news
#systemd: mezcalero » falconindy: if you need any upstream support for
this, just ping

(where mezcalero is Lennart and falconindy is Dave).

Really, I don't think this is something we need to worry about.

-t