[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 22:01:29 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Jason Ryan <jasonwryan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/08/12 at 03:35am, Felipe Contreras wrote:

>> I just became aware that Arch Linux plans to switch to systemd, and
>> this worries me for several reasons.
>>
>> snip
>
> I am running it on both my home machines and my work laptop. I have full
> encryption on all three devices and LVM and Raid1 on two of them. Boot time is
> not considerably faster, but shutdown is.
>
> I have not had any problems migrating or running the three machines in the
> intervening fortnight.

So you have 3 data-points. There's plenty of different machines and
configurations out there, and the way you present your arguments seems
to suggest that because you didn't have any problems, that proves that
nobody out there can *possibly* have issues with systemd.

I believe the opposite; even if you have tested in one thousand
machines, the *possibility* still remains.

> I think your concerns are largely unfounded and your alarmist tone does no
> credit to the Arch developers who have given this some consideration and have
> implemented it in a typically thorough and professional manner.

I tend to not believe things without evidence, and not believe because
of some "authority" says it's true. I will believe there was some
careful analysis, when I see the result of the analysis in a
summarized form as the Google DVCS analysis. If the benefits are well
known, and the disadvantages minded, it shouldn't be difficult to
write such a summary. Would it?

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras