[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Wed Aug 15 06:09:29 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

>>> That's ok. We are not in the PR business, we are not selling anything.
>>
>> You are selling a distribution.
>
> We are? Damn. Where is my cut. Allan!?

:-)

it's interesting to me how so many can believe that
OSS/distros/etc/etc are really driven and decided by the whimsical
desires of the complete, mob-like user base.

open, collaborative development has only 5% to do with feel good
all-for-one-and-one-for-all type shitz, and 95% to do with the needs
of the investing/funding/contracting user-base, and/or the
itches/scratches/interests of developers capable of architecting
useful tools from mere ideas and/or hot air.

example: in the last ~2 months i've contributed code to ~4 different
projects: 3 were fulfilling a *business* need for the company that
employs me, relating to AMQP and [gag] SOAP, which frankly i could
care less about and would actually prefer if they faded away forever
... but no, i FURTHERED them, because that's what the requirements
called for; another project is a popular Python application server,
and was furthered for both business and personal/pleasure reasons
(interesting); only 1 was purely for fun, relating to Python -> JS
translation ... a real challenge ...

alas, even the one for fun i did for *me* -- not to sound like an ass,
but i don't much give two shitzs about everyone else's needs less they
contribute competent code, or at the very least, competent thought and
constructive ideas.  a little respect goes a long way ...

... and on that same vein, i have next-to-nil patience for whining.
the point of this ramble-esque message is to highlight the fact that
90% of what i output is business related, 30-40% of that is shit i
wish would evaporate, and 10-20% is my personal
interests/free-time-development (which i abandon and find other
projects once it becomes boring and/or "un-fun")

SO! truth is the commercial fedoras/redhats and ubuntus out there are
all a vibrant part of this process, and they WILL supply/shoulder the
bulk of development.  buck up folks! just get used to it!  Arch plays
a part too (yay python2 symlink! ;-) in various capacities, but
software research/development and long-term maintenance of decadent
tools is NOT that part.  why? because Arch is part of the 10-20%
section of most developer's time -- ehm, you know, the part where they
do what they !@#$%^& want -- so suck it up and make clear/concise
contributions of code/thought/reason as best you can ... because this
endless droning on RE:piddly-little-wah-wah-problems makes for really
fscking boring reads.

--

C Anthony