[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:17:11 EDT 2012

On 2012/8/15 Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But that binary alone is useless, and certainly not *simple*.
>>
>> /sbin/init from sysvinit alone is useless. What is your point?
>
> The rest are rather simple scripts (in the case of Arch Linux).
>
> And you are still ignoring the fact that systemd is anything but
> *simple*. How convenient to ignore that argument.

Here are my two cents about that:
* I don't care about having a faster boot if the sequence is incorrect
or buggy (or, worse, leaves me with an unbootable system)
* I don't care about having a simpler boot if it doesn't work
* I don't care about systemd or bash scripts as long as it is
maintained and bug-fixed.

The situation is:
* I hate bash
* I don't think bash scripts are simple at all
* The current initscripts do not do what I expect them to do (being
able to start services, notably when a dependency is not up).
* I don't think we have enough manpower to maintain bash scripts like
Debian folks do
* I don't think we are looking for a replacement to /sbin/init, but we
are definitely looking for a boot sequence that works

I am personnally open to having something else than systemd but I do
not see anyone showing an alternative.

Rémy.