[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 13:54:24 EDT 2012

> Forking processes does not copy binaries.

Pulled out of silence for the very very last time.

It copies the parent which is much larger is what I meant. A real
problem for embedded where memory fragmentation matters to the point
that Google had code written just to handle it. The smaller the device,
the greater the issue tends to be.

> > Twisting my words yet again like so many other posts which are pro
> > systemd. Without a C library which was invented as the heart of UNIX you
> > wouldn't have a UNIX-like OS or any general OS including Windows.
> >

> > Here's a list of dependencies for you. There are likely many kernel
> > CONFIG options and modules required than the couple listed here and
> > likely growing.
> >
> > cgroups, dbus, ipv6, udev, kmod, pam, libcap
>
> These dependencies just enumerate basic system administration tools in
> the form of libraries. A boot procedure relying on shell scripts would
                                                                    ^^^^

> have the same dependencies as commands, that doesn't make any
> difference.

may or may not have the same dependencies as commands

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)