[arch-general] Arch-general is becoming a mess !

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 05:19:50 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Jeremiah Dodds
<jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com> wrote:
> With "-general" MLs, I don't really see the point of censorship of
> anything that isn't blatant spam, which the systemd threads are not. I
> particularly don't see the point when it's generally trivial for people
> who are bothered by some thread or some offer to hide them.

The ML is unmoderated, in its current form. And 'trivial to hide' is
of course true.

> You are not the arbiter of "pointless noise" for this list. Neither am
> I. I'm the arbiter of "pointless noise" for what I read, and I'm more
> than capable of ensuring that I don't read "pointless noise" -- so are
> you. The list should not bend to the whim of accusations of noise, the
> filters and killfiles of the accuser should.

While this is also true, the practical effect of it is exactly what is
happening. Lots of pointless noise which is chasing away devs. Each
dev is the arbiter of what constitutes pointless noise for them, and
they're deciding. Philosophical platitudes about how everyone should
only post and read what they want are pointless in light of that.

For me, [arch-general] loses its point if its just a lot of rabble
talking to each other. That's the net effect of what's been going on
this past week, because most of those with a clue don't have the
patience for all this spam. Congratulations to the trolls on the
effect they've had.