[arch-general] SystemD poll

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Aug 16 14:05:27 EDT 2012

On 08/16/2012 11:59 AM, Jérôme Bartand wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I read on Phoronix that Arch devs are planning to switch to
> SystemD, but many users are unhappy with this move. You can see a lot of
> controversy discussion on this list. I have created an online poll to
> determine the will of the community:
> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=502d2113e4b02c3adb09a939
>
> Please vote and spread!

In all of the discussion about systemd, all anyone should care about is:

  (1) Does systemd provide *needed* additional capabilities that are not
currently available;

  (2) What are they?

  (3) What are the disadvantages of the switch?

  (4) Do the advantages significantly outweigh the disadvantages, taking into
consideration the time, talent and energy required to implement the change (for
both the developers and end-users)?

If it is justified -- do it. If it is just being pushed because it is somebody
pet project, then seriously consider impacting all end-users before foisting the
change on them.

I think those are the relevant considerations.

All of us are here because Arch is a darn good distribution created out of the
decision making process employed by the developers. The fact that we are here
instead of somewhere else lends support to the wisdom they have used in making
past decisions regarding the distribution. Unless there are overwhelming concise
technical reasons clearly articulated why any given change should not be made,
then it is incumbent upon us to defer to the wisdom that has brought Arch to
where it is today...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.