[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Thomas Rand tom at tomsbox.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 05:47:27 EDT 2012

On 17 August 2012 11:31, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
>> There has been much ado on the arch-general mailing list about the move to
>> systemd. I participated in part of it, but like others finally tired of
>> "seeing a dead horse kicked" over and over and over. So much so that the
>> last dev who really paid attention to the list said goodbye. Yet the free
>> for all continues. I think a comment on Allan's blog post might illustrate
>
> Here are some stats that are quite useful in terms of the number of
> users of systemd:
>
> At http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/static/stats/stats.html
>
> Using the "kernel" tab we see that the approximate number of systems
> that have their system details logged using Fedora 16 is over 100,000
> if you total the entries for x86_64 and the i686 and i686 PAE kernels
> most of which are systems using systemd.  Given that so many machines
> are currently running systemd it can't be all that bad! This is of
> course only for Fedora but machines are also running systemd in other
> distributions as well.
>
> Speaks volumes really - and again supports the decision that the devs
> have made - with a much larger user base than the straw poll made
> available by another poster on this mailing list.
>
> --
> mike c

Thank you for starting a thread that (crosses fingers) will stay rant
free & intelligent.

After reading all the who-har in the other's I decided to install
systemd on my lappy & TBH was very pleased with the result. That being
that the install itself was hassle free & the configuration was
bizarrely intuitive & easy, I had a small issue that
lightdm-unity-greeter was not starting, so I made a note of the error
given & checked the .service, .device, .target files & was astounded
to see seriously plain text to the point where I followed through the
process systemd took & worked out the problem reboot & bingo I fixed
it without even looking on the web!

I still have sysVinit installed & will begin cloning the system prior
to removing sysVinit, one point is that my Arch-laptop has one
partition for the whole OS but when i come to try this on my desktop I
will be facing lots of different drives & partitions which I feel may
also be relatively easy to resolve & get working.

Either way I think I have the same feeling on this as other Archers,
that being that we came to arch to live on the OS edge & take
advantage of what is new in the linux world whilst trying to stick
with the KISS principle. I think systemd is a step forward but the
truth will be in the pudding.

Again thanks for a sane thread :)

--
Regards