[arch-general] /etc/modules-load.d | /etc/modprobe.d -- options determinative?

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net
Fri Aug 17 12:09:32 EDT 2012

On 08/17/2012 08:49 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
>   Reading the wiki pages regarding /etc/modules-load.d and /etc/modprobe.d, is
> the only difference that makes /etc/modules-load.d to correct place for the
> <moduleconfname>.conf file a lack of options required on module load?
>
>   Or put another way, if options need to be provided along with the module name
> on load, then use
>
>   /etc/modprobe.d/<moduleconfname>.conf
>
> otherwise if just the module name is required, use:
>
>   /etc/modules-load.d/<moduleconfname>.conf?
>
>   That was the only difference I saw in their use in the wiki. Anything else?

modprobe.d is for the options, modules-load.d is for loading modules at boot.
Modules listed in modprobe.d are NOT loaded automatically. If you want to load a
module at boot, with specific options, you need BOTH files.

This is a little ugly though, and it seems like all userspace module handling
should be done through kmod, so I think ditching modules-load and adding support
for a "autoload" modprobe.d command would be great along with "modprobe -A" for
actually loading all of the autoload modules.