[arch-general] kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Mon Aug 20 21:42:03 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're a genius. Not the Mac one, of course.

heh, thanks :-)

> Where did you get that
> info? I didn't notice any change in pam at all...

why from my gigantic, bulbous brain of course! where else?!

nah i just remembered looking over that update awhile back. the
symptoms you described sounded like a PAM problem (running but
invisible until restarted from within the session), like sessions were
not being setup properly (in particular, environ vars like dbus socket
address, etc).

also the PAM entries for systemd were only added sometime in the last
year.  PAM is one of those things you don't really [need to] think
about :-) so it's easy to skip over.

> By the way, I
> replaced /etc/pam.d/kde, kde-np, login and passwd with the
> corresponding .pacnew ones and that fixed the problem.

yeah that sounds about right ... nice, i'm glad it's all working for you now.

> Arch's community is the best.

i concur, good sir.

--

C Anthony