[arch-general] SystemD poll

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 20:48:10 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> On 22.08.2012 02:10, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Patrick Murphy <thegerdur at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you give me a brief explanation as to why init scripts are better?
>>> I'm newish to Unix style operating systems
>>
>> As I said; they are tried-and-true since *decades*, all the problems
>> have been ironed out by slow small changes, so if somebody has
>> problems they are probably hitting very few people.
>>
>> Switching to systemd is not a small change, it's a revolutionary
>> change, with the potential to break many people's boot (it has broken
>> things in Fedora, and openSUSE, and it's happening in Arch Linux as
>> well). So, a sensible person would wait until a sensible time to make
>> the big switch (which is clearly not now).
>>

> Arch is not sensible in the conservative sense. Being conservative here
> means waiting for others to make the software more stable. This is not
> really what Arch is about. We regularly move to software that is
> just-about-enough stable to be used. As far as I am concerned, systemd is at
> that point since I was able to convert my laptop to it without any problems
> at all.

So if it works for you, it will surely work for *everybody* else. I
have seen this argument so many times that I'm starting to worry about
the rationality of Arch Linux users and developers.

Yes, it's good to be on the bleeding edge, but there's a difference
between using the latest and greatest Linux kernel (stable one),
glibc, gcc, or even python. But systemd is an entirely different
beast, but apparently you are simply unable to understand how
different it is.

Go ahead make it the default, and if people start hitting problems
(everything points they will, and they will be *bad*), you would have
such massive complains that the recent discussions in arch-general
would seem mild in comparison.

Nobody likes to have their system totally broken with no easy solution
in sight for no reason.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras