[arch-general] /etc/dbus-1/systemd/cups.conf and /usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.socket files

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Wed Aug 22 13:31:28 EDT 2012

After my research on sysvinit, the simple version, I'm working my way
through systemd. Two things I noticed about the cups configuration:

1: The cups.conf file in /etc/dbus-1/systemd reads

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
  <!-- Only root can send this message -->
  <policy user="root">
    <allow send_interface="com.redhat.PrinterSpooler"/>
  </policy>

  <!-- Allow any connection to receive the message -->
  <policy context="default">
    <allow receive_interface="com.redhat.PrinterSpooler"/>
  </policy>
</busconfig>

Do the allow send and allow receive interfaces need to be changed, or
is this taken into account by the rest of systemd?

2. The /usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.socket reads
[Unit]
Description=CUPS Printing Service Sockets

[Socket]
ListenStream=/var/run/cups/cups.sock
ListenStream=631
ListenDatagram=0.0.0.0:631
BindIPv6Only=ipv6-only

[Install]
WantedBy=sockets.target

What is the recommended best practice for dealing with this when you
have no access to IPv6? Our satellite console supports IPv4 only so
previously everything has been set up on 192.168.???.??. With the
newer version of cups depending on avahi and the differences in the
avahi hosts file and the hosts file, avahi uses gandalf.local while
hosts still uses .localdomain.

https://lwn.net/Articles/485617/

I'm not trying to be dense here, but some of this seems to be at cross
purposes. That or this is something sysadmins on large systems do all
the time and those of us with small installations haven't had to deal
with yet.

As with some of my other posts, trashing systemd etc and those behind
it accomplishes nothing. If you can't say anything constructive, STFU.

I apologize for offending anyone, but this would be easier with out
all the BS, and I don't mean bikeshed.

Myra