[arch-general] systemd native files in etc

Qadri Muhammad.A.Qadri at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:41:35 EDT 2012

>> if arch would provide you with defaults every time the defaults get
>> updated
>> you would get *.pacnew files in your etc. since those files are depending
>> on
>> your system and are user choice it would not be good to provide those.
>>
>> By that logic, wouldn't I also not get an rc.conf file and rc.conf.pacnew
files? This is provided by the initscripts package, I believe, so I thought
maybe these files would be in the systemd package but they were not.
Perhaps this is a transition decision.

It just seems like if there are 10 files that need to be created on every
machine and then customized, why not make a package for it so that you
don't need to remember the exact filename every time?

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Stephen E. Baker <
> baker.stephen.e at gmail.com> wrote:

This logic never applied before.  mirrorlist, locale.gen, and many other
> files are always configured and included in packages.  I don't necessarily
> mind the decision but I can't believe it was that simple.  Was there any
> discussion about this somewhere?
>
> Googling for this is difficult because the question gets asked about every
package's service file so the signal to noise about this exact topic is
low. Any devs lying around with more knowledge/experience?

MAQ.