[arch-general] SystemD poll

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:13:35 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Bigby James <anoknusa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having watched this thread (and the "Beware" thread) for some time, I can
> say without equivocation that Felipe is not trying to "reason" with
> anyone.  He clearly doesn't understand the concepts he himself refers to
> (rules of evidence, burden of proof, logical fallacies) and is attempting
> to sound more knowledgeable than he is.

> He has failed to present evidence for his own case while ignoring that of his detractors

Once again, I don't have the burden of proof.

> and seems to think that while his single anecdotal case counts for something, all others contradicting it are worthless

You cannot prove a negative, no matter how many negative accounts you
put forward, on the other hand you only need one positive account to
prove a positive. You can have one million people claiming that they
have never seen Congenital Generalized Hypertrichosis Terminalis, but
all you need is one to prove that it does exist.

This is very basic rationality.

But you can ignore my anecdotal cases, you still have the burden of proof.

> He attacks the credibility of those clearly more competent than himself,

I haven't.

> And for the record: An ad hominem argument is 100% fallacious only when it
> serves to distract others from the subject at hand by making irrelevant
> claims.

No, that's called a red herring.

> It is not fallacious to, for example, point out that Jenny McArthy
> opposes vaccines while singing the praises of Botox on the grounds that the
> former are "poisons."

It's not fallacious to point that out, it's fallacious to conclude
that because of this, his arguments against vaccines are invalid. His
arguments stand or fall on their own.

> it serves as proof that the target is not a reliable source of information.

A bum on the street might not be a reliable source of information, but
he/she might still be saying the truth. Cops wouldn't take their word
at face value (or almost anyone for that matter), but if a bum says
there was a crime, cops could still investigate to make sure that's
the case.

> but demanding the devs comply with his wishes.

I am not demanding anything.

Since your whole mail is nothing but a bunch of ad hominem attacks,
I'll simply stop replying to you.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras