[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 27 04:48:32 EDT 2012

Am 27.08.2012 10:32, schrieb Joakim Hernberg:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:48:48 +0200
> Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>
>> Since the above quoted statement was made, a decision was taken to
>> move to systemd by default, so it clearly no longer applies. While you
>> are still free to use initscripts, at some point other packages are
>> likely to depend on you booting with systemd (NetworkManager, polkit,
>> Gnome, etc.).
>
> Please support our traditional initscripts as long as possible, as I for
> one really don't look forwards to systemd, at least not at this point
> in time.  Reasons excluded to avoid yet another flamefest...:(

If you search the archives, you will notice that longer initscripts
support is already planned.

But this only concerns the booting itself. As consolekit is
unmaintained, polkit will soon depend on systemd. The next Gnome version
will require systemd - more to come.

That said, if you run a machine that does not depend on any of this
(like a server), you will probably be able to keep using traditional
initscripts for a while.

Of course, this may change as the situation changes.